man in wheelchair sets himself on fire
A man in a wheelchair was severely burned after he accidentally started a grass fire on Tuesday.  According to the police report:

“The patient stated he was wheelchair-bound and was smoking a cigarette, which he thought he had extinguished and discarded into the brush, which rapidly ignited and caught his wheelchair on fire,”

Police and firefighters rushed to the scene in search of the man only to find a vacant lot with grass, brush and palm trees blazing, but no man insight.  Firefighters extinguished the blaze while officers searched for the man in a wheelchair. The severely burned man was located around the corner north of the fire. An ambulance took the him to Halifax Health Medical Center in Daytona Beach in critical condition. The victim was transferred a few hours later to Orlando Regional Medical Center.

Moral of the story don’t toss your cigarette bud into the grass while sitting in your wheelchair.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *